HOW TO USE A MENSTRUAL CUP
The menstrual cup is a natural alternative to tampons and pads. While using a menstrual cup may seem a bit challenging at first, please remain patient. It requires some practice to learn how to insert and remove it correctly. However, once you master the technique, it becomes a simple and comfortable option. Keep reading, we will share our best tips and trics how to use a cup.
HOW TO INSERT
Before using the cup for the first time, you must sterilize it: wash your hands, then pour enough water into a saucepan to cover the cup; boil the water first, then dip the cup for 3-4 minutes. Remove the cup and it will be ready to use. This process is recommended also at the end of each cycle to keep your cup perfectly clean.
Wash your hands thoroughly with sope.
We recommend weting your cup with water or a water-based lubricant to facilitate pain-free insertion.
Fold the cup. There are two most used folds:
A - Press both sides of the cup to put them together and then fold the cup in half forming a 'U'.
B - Place a finger on the top edge of the cup and press inward to form a triangle.
Adopt a comfortable position. Some of the recommended positions are: squatting, sitting on the toilet, or standing. Try to relax, because tence muscles will make inserting of the cup harder.
While holding the cup folded with one hand, gently separate the labial lips with another hand and insert the cup into the vagina toward the tailbone until the stem is even with the vaginal opening and does not protrude.
Do not push the tip of the stem further than ½ inch (1.5 cm) into the vagina. The placement of the cup should be lower than the tampon.
To make sure that the cup is placed correctly, turn it 360° degrees in either direction by grabbing its base (above the stem). This way the cup will unfold. You can also make sure the cup is completely open by inserting a finger into the vagina and gently pressing on one side of the vaginal wall to create space for the cup to fully open.
If the stem irritates the vaginal opening once it is positioned correctly, you may remove the cup and trim the stem slightly. Cutting the stem completely will make removal
WEAR THE CUP
WEAR UP TO 12 HOURS
The menstrual cup should be emptied at least every 12 hours.
We recommend that it is emptied, washed, and rinsed a minimum of 2-3 times daily.
Once you learn its best use and your flow, you'll soon know how often it should be emptied.
WASH AND REINSERT
- Every time you take out the cup rince it with cold water to prevent smell. Remember to thoroughly wash the suction holes. If ypui wish you can use a mild unscented wash like our Gentle Intimate Foam Wash.
- If you travel, use drinking water for washing or you can use our water based unscented bamboo wipes for intimate hygiene and body.
- You don't need to remove the cup to urinate or for bowel movements.
- At the end of your cycle, boil the GENIAL cup to desinfect and keep it in provided cotton bag.
The cup can be comfortably used at night, during sports activities, and even while swimming in a pool.
REMOVING THE CUP
FOLLOW THESE STEPS
- Wash your hands with soap.
- Find a comfortable position (standing, sitting on the toilet, or squatting) and insert your index finger and thumb into the vagina to locate the stem or bottom of the cup.
- Use your abdominal or pelvic muscles to push, making the cup removal easier.
- Gently pull the stem until you can securely hold the base of the cup.
- Squeeze the base of the cup gently to break the seal. Tilt it sideways while moving it from side to side as you remove it.
- Once completely removed, hold the cup upright to keep the contents inside and empty them into the toilet.
- Rinse the cup with clean water, making sure to thoroughly wash the suction holes. You can also use mild, unscented soap. If clean water is not available, use toilet paper or tissue to dry the cup and wash it with clean water later.
Additionally, at the end of your cycle:
Thoroughly wash and boil your cup for 5 minutes to sterilize it. Dry the GENIAL cup completely and store it in the air-permeable canvas bag provided with the cup.